MATH TAUGHT THE RIGHT WAY is a math program of the Berkeley Math Circle for middle and high school students at UC Berkeley, held for 3 hours 5-8pm on Mondays throughout the academic year. The program is intellectually demanding, testing and encouraging the mental development of students in a content-rich and challenging environment of algebra, geometry, and problem solving. The MTRW does NOT conform to generic U.S. labels of math classes (e.g., Algebra 1, Algebra 2, etc.). By the end of 9th grade the MTRW will have surpassed the regular U.S. math curriculum by a lot, not just in breadth but more importantly in depth. Learning to "read and write mathematics" is a skill that is emphasized at the MTRW as the basis for communicating mathematics.
The instructors at the MTRW have Ph.D., M.A., BA's in math or other related degrees in science, and are distinguished teachers at the Berkeley Math Circle, universities and elite middle and high schools. The MTRW has homeworks every week in each of the three subjects. HWs are graded and returned the following week. There are final exams in each subject. Report cards are generated each semester with % of completed regular and bonus work, as well as statistics of the corresponding classes, and a list of top performers and winners in various categories.
Important note regarding Spring 2020
UC Berkeley has moved all classes online until the end of the semester. The good news is we are going to hold BMC sessions digitally! This will be a process of trial and error, and we thank you all for your patience and dedication to the program. There is the possibility of BMC moving back to campus should the university allow us to use the regular classroom at the end of the semester.
All instructors are planning on moving their classes to Zoom after spring break.
- Students need to make an account for Zoom, a platform that allows instructors to teach and interact with students digitally.
- Students will receive a link for their lesson from the instructor. Once clicking on the link, it will take people to the Zoom website.
- Students can chose to either join through a web browser, a phone app, or a computer app.
- Ideally, students would be in a quiet place, free from distractions, to watch and participate in each Zoom lecture. Many recommend using headphones while using Zoom.
- All zoom sessions will occur at the regular time that the classes start; students should expect to be logged in at 5pm once all instructors start Zoom. For this Monday, students will join the Zoom meeting at the respective time of 5pm, 6pm, or 7pm depending on what times correspond to the class. This will be given out more explicitly for each class below.
Application Dates to Watch For:
|BMC Fall 2020||application portal will open in the first half of April 2020 and will be due April 29.|
|MTRW Fall 2020||application portal will open in the first half of June 2020 and will be due immediately.|
BMC Summer Program Application Now Live!
- Beginners and Intermediate I groups for BMC 2020 Summer Program are full and closed. Do NOT sign up for Intermediate II and Advanced group in hopes of being placed into Beginners or Intermediate I. We will not be able to accept you into Beginners or Intermediate I as there is no more space, and we will NOT accept students to Intermediate II or Advanced group if they don't qualify.
- Intermediate II and Advanced are almost full at this moment.
Please refrain from emailing staff with any logistical questions. You may come to office hours with any questions. There is no waitlist or mailing list for the summer program.
BMC Summer Program
- Date: June 15- June 26, 2020, Monday-Friday
- Time: 9:00am-12:00pm
- Location: UC Berkeley campus (exact rooms to be announced in June)
- Description: The BMC Summer Program is an intensive two-week math program where students will participate for three hours a day in math sessions and also have daily homework for practice. Enrolling in another summer camp at the same time as the BMC Summer Program is strongly discouraged, as students will NOT have enough time to absorb the material from the three math classes and write their three daily HWs, and hence will lag behind their classmates. Some families did not take this seriously and enrolled their children in afternoon camps or afternoon/evening classes elsewhere, and found out within a couple of days that the child had to drop the other program in order to keep up with the BMC program. The BMC Summer Program is a hybrid between the Berkeley Math Circle and the Math Taught the Right Way programs (in each Beginners, Intermediate I, and Intermediate II group). The Advanced group over the summer will enjoy an intensive Berkeley Math Circle experience.
- How to apply: The application link, along with all application information, can be found here. The selection process is based on merit and mathematical maturity, as well as a first-come-first-serve basis. You need to fill in the application and send us a correct check. Until we receive both, the student cannot be considered among the applicants.
MATH TAUGHT THE RIGHT WAY SPRING 2020 APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
Please refrain from emailing BMC staff with any logistical questions. There is no waitlist or mailing list.
Brief Description of MTRW Spring 2020 groups
Fees for MTRW Spring 2020:
Early Bird Fee:
If the fee is received and student is registered by November 15, 2019:
$645 for 5pm - 8pm for 6B group (Algebra, Geometry, Problem Solving), if the fee is received and student is registered by November 15, 2019.
if the fee is received and/or student is registered on or after November 16, 2019: