BERKELEY MATH CIRCLE SUMMER 2018 PROGRAM
BMC Summer 2018 is scheduled for:
- Time: Monday – Friday 9am-12pm
- Date: June 18-29, 2018.
The Summer Program will be a mixture of the new adapted Bulgarian curriculum (as taught at the Monday MTRW Program) and math circle sessions. The higher the level of the group is, the more math circle emphasis there will be. In the younger groups the emphasis will be on school math curriculum after a leading Eastern European model.
BMC Summer is planned to have the usual groups:
- Beginners (grades 6-7 in fall 2018)
- Intermediate I (grades 7-8 in fall 2018)
- Intermediate II (grades 8-10 in fall 2018)
- Advanced (must qualify or by invitation only)
To apply to the program, you MUST COMPLETE this two-step process
- Complete the online form: BMC Summer 2018 Online Application Form
- Send us the payment
- Early-bird fee of $410 for check and online form received on or before Feb 28, 2018
- Regular fee of $460 for registration on and after March 1, 2018
Fee is payable ONLY BY CHECK written to: United Math Circles Foundation
The check, then, can be mailed to:
- Berkeley Math Circle - Upper
- c/o Prof. Stankova, Evans Hall 970
- Department of Mathematics
- University of California at Berkeley
- Berkeley, CA 94720-3840
or dropped off in person at UC Berkeley, Evans 713 in a sealed and addressed envelope, by sliding under the door.
On the note section of the check, please, write: the name of the student and the group you are signing up for.
**** NOTE: No checks will be deposited until a student is accepted into the program. Once a check is deposited, it is neither fully nor partially refundable. A deposited check cannot be exchanged for another student, cannot be rolled over to another program or used for any other purpose.
The Selection Process
- We will admit qualified applicants on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- As usual, a placement test will be administered to applicants via a take-home exam in early June, in order to determine the level of the school math curriculum of each participant.
********The following students will be exempted from the placement test********
- Any student who completes the Spring 2018 Program Math Taught the Right Way.
- Any student who is currently in BMC-Advanced.
- Any student who completed the full summer program 2017 in the Advanced group.
The faculty of the Summer Program will consist of Ph.D. Mathematicians and Mathematicians with advanced math education, who have great experience in teaching at both the MTRW and BMC Programs.
The Summer Program will have daily HWs in each of the three classes, which will be due the following day! We expect that HWs will take from 1 to 3 hours each day, depending on the background of each student in the corresponding math subjects.
******** NOTES *******
- We strongly advise against signing up students at the Summer Program concurrently with other (academic) classes in the afternoon or evening during June 18-29: it will be too much for the students! Signing them up for some art or sports camp in the afternoon will be fine; but the best will be for the students to go home, have a hearty lunch, relax, and then do the Summer Program HW. This is enough for a daily schedule of an intense 10-day math program.